Thursday, August 18, 2011

A few more steps

They're gone.

Lyric, Royce, Sarah, Clair, Nate. All of them That timeline is the only evidence we have that they existed right now, apart from some mazes, a few images and a handful of chat logs.

If it were any other day, any other situation that the current, I'd say give them a moment of silence. But we can't do that. He's waiting, isn't he? So, we throw some dirt over the bodies, and say a few words as we walk on.

I don't mind speaking ill of the dead. They can say their piece when I next see them.

Lyric, you murderous son of a bitch, as much as it twists a knife in my gut to say it, you will be missed. A good sparring partner is hard to replace. Messed up, cannibalistic, mad scientist though you were, you were as good a teacher as any.

Royce, you were one paranoid bastard, I'll give that to you. It's a shame you didn't live longer, and a blessing. God knows how your condition would have played out. You were a trooper, but you were also a vengeful moron. I'll see you around.

Clair, I never really met you, but girl you managed to break whatever voodoo Lyric had. Points for that. You may have had a more than a few bolts loose, but from what I could see you had fight in you. Good on you.

Sarah, you were dead long before I came along. You didn't really have a chance, and for that, I'm sorry. You and those other unfortunates to stumble into this mess deserved better. Requiescat in Pace.

Nate, you were one of ours. I don't know what became of you. Maybe Tall, Dark and Slender got you. Maybe you got out. Maybe you're on the other side. That doesn't matter. For a while at least, you stood where some of us runners once did.

No funeral. montage is complete without some music for walking away with. This seemed appropriate. Hope no one minds.


5 comments:

  1. Some people get two chances.

    Thank you for your kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou," I said "art sure no craven,
    [...]
    Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. For once I understand the bird-brain. Worrying that. Spend enough time with mad folk and I suppose the mad folk start looking pretty sane.

    Who are you?
    Not arrogant enough for Lyric, too straightforward for Royce, too coherent to be Clair, and the diction is wrong for Nate.

    Sarah?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. I feel dumb now. I stopped actually checking their blogs, relying on the Blogger dashboard to inform me of updates. So I didn't even notice they went missing.
    Maybe I should follow your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer live bookmarks myself. Though they're finicky little bastards.
    As you will though Ben.

    ReplyDelete